In this post, we’ve collected our personal highlights of the Pickmotion Christmas card assortment along with some Xmas trivia facts to get all of you in the right mood for this year’s Christmas post.
- In addition to Rudolph, eight more reindeer pull Santa’s sleigh: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen. Although these are male-sounding names, it is not unlikely that Santa’s reindeer are actually females – as male reindeer shed their antlers in wintertime!
- Lametta was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
- Although we traditionally celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas, neither the 24th nor the 25th of December are mentioned in the Bible. Most historians even assume that Jesus was born in spring, not in winter.
- Coca-Cola played a major role in the creation of our present image of Santa Claus. It wasn’t until the beverage company hired an illustrator named Haddon Sundblom in 1931 to make pictures of the Christmas icon for magazine advertising that we got the warm and friendly Santa Claus we know today. Before that, he probably looked a lot more grumpy and even a bit scary.
- To stand below the mistletoe still has a romantic meaning to it today. Originally however, mistletoe was even considered an aphrodisiac – at least among the Druids. The plant is an ancient symbol of fertility and masculinity.
Btw, for even more fun facts about all things related to Christmas check out this blog post!
Also, share your pre-Christmas mood and festivities with us and tag your most wintry and festive photos on Instagram with #xmaswonders!